Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Daisy Chronicle...

I had a dream last night about Daisy.

For those of you who don't already know, Daisy is a dog I recently adopted (from a family I found on craigslist) who ran away 3 and a half hours after I brought her home. Daisy was gorgeous, She was a Great Pyrenees German Shepard mix, and she looked so much like my Buck, that I knew she and I were meant to be. Unfortunately, she had other plans.

She actually BENT my gate trying to get out. If I think I had a problem getting people to close the gate before, now I don't know if it actually can close.  It's been about three weeks (maybe more) and I have not heard anything about her. Let me start by telling you a little bit about what I did when she ran away:
First of all, it was about 9:30 at night, and I spent the next 3-4 hours out in the dark looking for her. A few times I almost caught her, but she would dart by when she would hear the smallest of noises. I searched everywhere near my house I could physically get with a flash light and my sisters and Grandma searched everywhere else. So you can imagine 4 women out with flashlights, all calling "Daisy, Daisy". We must have looked like fools. It was nearly one-o'clock when I got back to the house and gave up the search for the night.

The next morning however, I sat on the sofa with the phone in one hand, a pencil in the other and the phonebook draped over my lap. I called EVERY SINGLE vet in town. You wouldn't know from the size of town, but there are vets all over the place. I called 15. Then I called the Animal shelter, The police and placed an add in the paper. Then my sister and I went out and placed flyers all around. In offices, on trees on posts. If there is a single person in Paradise who didn't know my dog was missing, They soon would. Then Jessie, my fifteen year-old-sister sent a text message to EVERY contact in her cell phone (she knows a lot of people, I was surprised by how many.) and made a Facebook event. This we sent to every friend in our Facebook friends. Both my sisters and I invited friends to help us find Daisy. And still, we have not heard a single peep about her.

Last week I had a dream that people kept bringing me dogs, but none of them even closely resembled Daisy, some had spots, some were small, some were large, there were black dogs, yellow dogs, brown dogs. No daisy. Last night, I dreamt that Daisy came home, and was very excited to be back, but slowly as the day (the day in the context of the dream) progressed, she slowly morphed into another dog, and then another dog and by the end of the day she was a completely different dog than what she had been.

I think I have made peace with the idea that Daisy isn't coming back. I think that my dreams pointed to this fact, but I also think that since it has been three weeks, and there hasn't even been a whisper about her, that it's not plausible anymore.

I hope that wherever she is, she is happy. I like to imagine that she is with all lost things, that she has found that place where socks go when they disappear from the dryer, that place where lost keys go when you search, and search but can't for the life of you find them. The place where you can find everything people have lost over the years, a bright colorful dimension full of the lost but never found. But actually, she is probably with some family, and learning how to be happy as their dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment