Monday, May 9, 2011

This is HAAARD.

I don't know if I told you, I have taken on a paid project in which I am constructing, from scratch, a brand new fishing vest in place of an old beloved fishing vest which is worn, tattered and in an unceremonious state of disrepair. I am doing this for a family friend, and did I mention that I am getting paid? The plan was to copy the original vest and make a new one just like it. Can I just say, Fishing vests are HARD.

I created the pattern and cut out the pieces months ago, I should know better than to postpone projects like this it always proves more difficult to figure out what you did or were thinking when you come back to a project. Yesterday I began sewing the pockets together. This thing has pockets in pockets, on pockets, zipper pockets, velcro pockets (IT HAS A LOT OF POCKETS) its as if the fishing industry thinks pockets may some day go out of style and so they must fill each fishing vest with as many pockets as possible. Yesterday I constructed what I thought was 6 pockets, but actually turned out to be only one pocket, with six different pocket openings. I call this Pocket A. (Each of my finished pockets have a letter label so I can remember where to put them.) Pocket A consisted of Pocket A1, A2, A3, A4 and two zipper pockets A5 and A6. I made labels all the way to Pocket L, so I foresee a future where I will be construction pockets like a mad woman. I will be the pocket queen when I am done with this. Seriously, you need pockets, just ask.

And the entire time I was constructing these pockets, My sewing machine was on the fritz. the inconsistency of the tension was driving me crazy... or, making me tense, if you will. (lol) But I think I have finally figured out the trick to my sewing machine. You just have to threaten it, call it bad names. For instance, it was making continuous birds nests with the bobbin thread and I had adjusted the tension, so instead I told it rather rudely that if it did not quit that and cooperate with me, I would throw it out the window. It began to work just fine. Later, when the tension went wonky again, I started cursing at it to the point where you'd think the mafia, or Tupac had moved into my kitchen, and it fixed itself again. So  the trick to my machine, threats and curse words.


At least I know where I'll be for the foreseeable future, stuck in the kitchen threatening my sewing machine and creating an endless amount of pockets. Oh and I thought I should mention, in the spirit of sewing, I have found the best tool ever. It is a little metal thing that makes bias tape. It is an amazing invention and I don't know why I never found one sooner. Every one who sews needs one of these babies. They come in different sizes and make life so much easier.

1 comment:

  1. My sewing machine is always available for loans if you need it!

    ReplyDelete